Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Other People's Dogs

I admit it- I sometimes jump to conclusions about other people and their dogs. I have a client who has a very young Australian Shepherd. I have been in their home twice and the dog was always outside by himself casting longing looks indoors at the family. Any time I see a dog on its own outside my heart always breaks a little. If they have a companion dog not so much, but if they are all by their little lonesome I feel sad and my internal dialogue looks something like this- "Why did they get a dog if they don't want to spend time with it? Don't they know that dogs are pack animals and not meant to be alone?" By the way as I am typing this Travis is lying next to me has farted loudly. AND IT IS NOT the smell of fresh cut daisies. I was in their home again recently and gazing through the door at his beautiful blue eyes when I mentioned that I would love to meet him. After I finished their massages I walked into the main room and was met by some alert style barking. Then this beautiful 11 month old animal cautiously approached me and sniffed my hand. He then apparently decided I was okay because at this point he full body lunged at me and and proceeded to try to stick his tongue down my throat. I backed up and sat down and he followed me maintaining his full contact style of affection. I rubbed him down and gave him hugs ignoring the searing burn of claws ripping a slight tear in my right arm. Suddenly I realized they probably put him outside to spare me from this enthusiastic greeting! Fair enough. We then talked about the agility training they wanted to get for him and training they had gotten for him so far. These people do indeed love their dog- they just have to do a certain amount of damage control. I totally love his dog. I will take a full body hug and a kiss complete with scratches anytime!

No comments:

Post a Comment